Today I’m bringing you comfort food with a healthy amount of veggies – that’s called balance!
The comfort food part: sauce made with butter, white wine, and parmesan – YUMMM. Creamy and absolutely delicious.
The healthy part: mushrooms, asparagus, and cherry tomatoes – YAYYY. These are sautéed in that rich sauce and simply tastes so good – don’t ever forget that veggies CAN taste amazing!! (This is the type of dish, in my opinion, changes mushroom haters to mushroom lovers – soft, silky, and scrumptious!)
And I made it with whole wheat pasta – why not?
I hope y’all love this dish – I sure do! It’s easy, it’s made with simple ingredients, it’s ready in about 30 minutes, and it feeds a crowd! Complete your meal with a side salad and you’ve got one rocking meal you and your family is going to love! And boy, does this make some incredible leftovers for work the next day. GET IN MY BELLY.
Maybe this is what your Monday night dinner needs? Pick up a few ingredients on your way home and have this big ole delicious dinner made in 30!
- 16 oz. whole wheat penne
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ toasted finely chopped walnuts
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the penne according to the package's directions. Drain and set aside (it may be done at the perfect time, otherwise just set it aside for a few minutes).
- While the water is boiling and the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the white wine, stir, and add the asparagus and mushrooms. Simmer the veggies in the butter and wine for 10-12 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally (the liquid will be reduced, but not completely).
- Add the garlic to the veggies and cook for one minute. Add the cherry tomatoes and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan until melted. Set aside for a minute.
- In the large pot where the pasta cooked, add 2 Tablespoons butter and melt. Add the pasta back into the large pot, stir, and add the veggies with the parmesan sauce to the pasta. Mix, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy. Top with walnuts and extra parmesan, if desired.
Make gluten-free: Swap rice pasta for whole wheat pasta.
Storage Suggestion: Keeps in fridge best up to three days.
Inspired by Pinch of Yum‘s Simple Mushroom Penne with Walnut Pesto (It’s fabulous!)
If you try this mushroom asparagus penne, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.