Deliciously gluten-free and vegan with an addicting thai peanut sauce!!
Welcome to my new favorite work lunch. We’re talking HEALTHY and FLAVORFUL and 100% addicting. Seriously, I’ve had this three times this week.
I’m not a big fan of salads where greens are 90% of it. But I am still a fan of salads that are actually, mostly healthy with lots of delicious, colorful veggies and maybe 10% greens. Meet this Thai Rice Noodle and Veggie Salad.
We’ve got the veggies: mixed greens, bean sprouts (I LOVE these, I do not know why, but I’m obsessed), shredded carrots, cucumber, and red bell pepper! That’s a whole lotta yum. It’s like a summer roll in salad form.
We’ve got rice noodles: gluten-free and you’d never even know it. Quick trick with the rice noodles too – be careful not to over cook or they can go kinda crazy and clumpy. I cook mine just about al dente, perhaps a tiny bit under.
We’ve got the best sauce of all time that I basically just want to drink. It’s got some good, good stuff in it. This sauce is a hybrid between my own Peanut Dipping Sauce (too thick for dressing) and Pinch of Yum‘s Peanut Lime Dressing (adapted according to what I already had in my pantry). I love both those sauces and I also love the sauce I ended up with, taking good ideas from both these recipes!
Also, when winter days are so stinking short, we need some COLOR in our lives. I love how colorful and fresh this salad is.
Can’t wait for y’all to try this!! You’re going to love it!
Also, don’t forget cilantro!! I totally forgot it when I photographed these pictures, but it tastes SO good in this. It’s like, 33 cents a bunch, and it’s worth it.
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- ½ cup coconut oil (see note)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup white distilled vinegar
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey (see note)
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 12 ounces spring mix lettuce
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and julienned
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain, toss in a bit of olive oil, and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce. In a food processor or blender, combine the coconut oil, soy sauce, vinegar, peanut butter, honey, lime juice, ginger, and garlic. Pulse until combined (it can take some time for the coconut oil to be incorporated, just keep going). Set aside.
- To serve: In each bowl, layer the yummies. Start with a portion of rice noodles. Top with a handful of spring mix, some carrots, bean sprouts, red bell pepper, cucumber, and a bit of cilantro. Drizzle the dressing and dig in!
Make it vegan: Substitute honey for a vegan sweetener like agave or brown rice syrup.
Recipe inspired by and adapted from: my own Peanut Dipping Sauce and Pinch of Yum‘s Peanut Lime Dressing.