Your favorite simple vegetable soup with soft and fluffy gnocchi
Happy Friday, everyone! I hope this week has treated you well. I’m looking forward to a relaxing weekend with my husband – what are your weekend plans? I’m thinking lots of yummy food is in our near future and some fun meals with good friends.
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for a soup that we’ll all probably need to get through the winter! I don’t know about y’all, but I feel like I have to gear UP for winter. I have to get in a mindset that accepts it will be way too dark for the next few months, I have to plan for how I’m going to cope with that, and I have to remind myself that a mega-perk of winter is all the delicious food!! So, let’s all dive into some amazing winter dishes that make this time of year feel special and fun – not sad and dreary!
Here’s a twist on the classic minestrone:
- We’re going to slow cooker this one – making it super easy!
- We’re adding delicious gnocchi instead of noodles!
I’m such a fan of gnocchi. It’s soft and tender, like dumplings. You also can buy whole wheat gnocchi or even gluten-free gnocchi – making it suitable to all of your diet needs! We all need more veggies in our life (and this soup is just LOADED with them), but why not add a bit of gnocchi to make this soup even more enticing! I think the gnocchi makes this soup come up to the next level of comfort food.
Plus, this adaptation making it crockpot-friendly is so helpful! There is nothing like taking a few minutes in the morning to chop some veggies, toss them in the crockpot, leave for the day, and come back to find your house full of warm, delicious smells – and your dinner is 95% ready!
When you’re looking for an easy, delicious, hearty, and comforting soup, turn to this one this winter!
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz. fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. white beans (northern or cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ zucchini, diced
- ½ yellow squash, diced
- 1 lb. gnocchi
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill your crockpot with the vegetable broth, tomatoes with their juice, white beans, kidney beans, and tomato paste. Give it a quick stir.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, thyme, rosemary, sage, and parsley. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours, until the vegetables have softened.
- minutes before eating, add the spinach, zucchini, and yellow squash, cover, and allow it to continue cooking.
- minutes before eating, add the gnocchi. The soup will be ready with the gnocchi has softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
If you try these crockpot gnocchi minestrone, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.