Simple, 30-minute, 5-ingredient vegan dinner made with zoodles and basil pesto!
Use up the last of your garden zucchini with this awesome dinner! Or just go to your local grocery store and buy them there like I did – someday, I’ll have a big beautiful backyard garden – but this year was not the year.
You’re going to love this new dinner recipe, because it is:
- Super fast: Talking 30 minutes top here, people!
- Super easy: Basically five ingredients (plus olive oil and S&P, but do those really count as ingredients??)
- Super flavorful: Pesto makes these veggies SHINE
We’re gonna keep going with my current obsession of pan-roasted tomatoes by starting off this dish with a handful of cherry tomatoes on a hot skillet – warm, fresh goodness! You’ll sauté up a little garlic, add your pretty zoodles (just shred some zucchini if you don’t have a spiralizer!) and some peas.
As far as the pea situation goes, you can use fresh peas or frozen. You’ll probably want to cook or at least thaw them first, if you’re using frozen. One trick to keep this a one skillet recipe: before doing anything else, cook the peas in a little water in the skillet, drain and remove the peas to a separate bowl, then start the recipe as written!
This dish is vegan, but if you’re not vegan, you can add some parmesan cheese on top – which, in my opinion, tastes absolutely delicious!
Another variation I tried recently on this dish that I feel in love with involves a beautiful, slightly runny, sunny-side up egg! Make the egg in a separate skillet and top the zoodles with the egg. That yolk tastes incredible with all these ingredients – the pesto and yolk complement each other wonderfully. Plus, extra protein!! You gotta try it this way!!
It’s like a little, gorgeous birds’ nest made of veggies! I hope y’all love this! I know I did!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized
- ½ cup peas, cooked
- ⅔ cup pesto, store-bought or homemade
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the cherry tomatoes, salt, and pepper and stir occasionally until tomatoes have begun to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir constantly until fragrant, about one minute. Do not allow to burn.
- Add the spiralized zucchini and peas and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the zucchini are warmed and crisp-tender (a slight crunch, but not raw). Toss occasionally to cook evenly.
- Stir in the pesto and cook for one more minute. Add more pesto to taste. Then, remove from heat and serve immediately. If desired, top with parmesan cheese.
Make it vegan: Leave off the parmesan or top with vegan parmesan.
Make it dairy-free: Leave off the parmesan.
If you try this zucchini pesto with peas and pan-roasted tomatoes, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.