Inspired by my favorite sandwich from my favorite bagel shop – now you can make it at home!
Welcome to Monday! My weekend has looked like this: sitting on my couch, watching the Olympics for hours and hours, with two ice packs to my face. Wisdom teeth surgery will do that to you! But I think I picked the best weekend for this recovery because the Olympics is SO entertaining to me – thank goodness it’s practically on 24/7! I’ve been eating lots of applesauce and ice cream, but one of my last meals before the surgery was digging into the giant bagel sandwich. As far as bagel sandwiches go, this is my all-time favorite and it was a worthy last meal with my wisdom teeth!
We’re gonna start this phenomenal sandwich off with a sun-dried tomato spread and let me tell you, this spread is seriously addicting!! You’re going to love it because it will take you all of five minutes, but will taste like you slaved over it! Made of sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, oregano, and basil, you will throw them all into your food processor and pulse until smooth – and that’s it!
You can also use this spread with lots of other types of sandwiches! I think this would be terrific on a burger, especially if it was on a pretzel bun! Lots of delicious possibilities in our futures! Let me know if you find another tasty use for this – I wanna hear all about it!
To put the bagel together, we’ll spread the sun-dried tomato goodness on one half of the bagel and some plain cream cheese on the other half. Then, top one half with some sliced turkey, lettuce, and red onions and DIG IN.
I have some suggested amounts of each ingredient listed in the recipe, but feel free to add as much or as little of everything! I like my bagels THICK with cream cheese and light on the turkey – but you do you!!
And if you’re feeling ambitious, try my Asiago Bagel recipe! And you only really need to feel like 20% ambitious, because making homemade bagels is DO-ABLE! Believe me and check out my recipe to learn how to make amazing, New York-style bagels in your very own kitchen!
Realizing now that my mouth needs to heal ASAP so that I can dig into this bagel sandwich again!
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, lightly packed
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 asiago bagels (see archives for my recipe!)
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- Several pieces of lettuce
- Several slices of roasted turkey
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- Make the spread: Combine all spread ingredients in your food processor: the sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, oregano, and basil. Pulse until smooth.
- Assemble the sandwich: Spread a generous amount of the spread on one half of the bagel and spread 1 Tablespoon cream cheese on the other half of each bagel (add more cream cheese, if desired). Top the bottom half of each bagel with lettuce, red onion, and turkey. Add the top half of each bagel and enjoy!
Make gluten-free: Spread is naturally gluten-free. To enjoy the whole sandwich, use a gluten-free bagel.
If you try this bagel sandwich, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.