An easy tutorial on chocolate-covered bananas plus a fun video!!
Happy Friday – we made it y’all! By the time this post goes live (writing it Thursday night) I will probably be laying in the dentist’s office getting my wisdom teeth extracted – but let’s keep our minds on happier things for now!
When I was 18, I spent a year living in Costa Rica, and I remember this ice cream shop called Pops! The exclamation point is part of the name, if I remember correctly. It had tons of classic ice cream flavors and I usually went for my favorite: mint chocolate chip. But, my friends and I did visit Pops! way too often and my other favorite treat to order was chocolate-covered bananas. These were amazing for several reasons. First, they used the biggest bananas. It was kinda ridiculous, but, hey, bigger bananas = bigger dessert, and I’m not gonna argue with that! Second, they pulled the bananas straight from the freezer and dipped them in the chocolate right in front of you. They’d hand the bananas to me and I could see the cold banana freezing the chocolate solid in real time. Third, these chocolate-covered bananas tasted incredible! Chocolate so rich, banana so thick and creamy. They were the best. So, it’s definitely time for us to make some ourselves!!
This is a very fun, super easy, kid-friendly dessert! These chocolate-covered bananas take about 15 minutes to throw together! I think these would be fun to serve at a party or to make with some kiddos – everyone can choose their own favorite toppings!
These bananas are also endlessly customizable and I’ve included suggestions in the recipe to make these friendly to several different food allergies. Because the toppings can be virtually anything that sounds good to you, you can pick toppings according to your dietary needs. I used peanut butter, white chocolate, almonds, peanuts, and M&Ms for mine, but don’t let me stop you from going crazy trying lots of other things! I think pistachios would be amazing on these, so would Reese’s pieces, tons of other candies, and definitely caramel! Drool over these photos (going for my freezer to grab myself one right now!) and check out my video at the bottom!!
- 2 bananas
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon white chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon M&Ms
- 1 Tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 1 Tablespoon chopped almonds
- (Any other toppings!!)
- Peel and halve the bananas. Insert a popsicle or candy stick in each and freeze for at least one hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler (or very carefully in the microwave) and pour into a tall, narrow glass. Melt your white chocolate in a separate container and warm your peanut butter in a third container.
- Dip the frozen bananas into the chocolate and place on a parchment paper-covered plate. Immediately sprinkle your toppings on. Repeat this step with every bananas.
- Enjoy immediately or freeze in an airtight container.
Make nut-free: Use certified nut-free chocolate; check ingredients carefully. Do not use peanut butter or M&Ms as toppings; use only nut-free toppings like chocolate and nut-free candies.
Make vegan: Use certified vegan chocolate. Check ingredients of toppings carefully; only use vegan toppings like nuts and vegan candies.
Storage: Store in the freezer in an airtight container. Best if enjoyed within one week.