A totally indulgent breakfast (or dessert) made with the best berries!
Right now, you’re going to need to forget your diet. Don’t think about your skinny jeans. Tell yourself (just this once) that healthy eating is over-rated – and feast your eyes on this Blueberry Buckle! (PSA: There’s a million names for these types of fruit desserts: crumble, crisp, cobbler, etc. A buckle is a cake-like bottom layer with a streusel top layer and you probably need this in your life.)
There’s a time for eating healthy and there is a time for eating yummy food.
(JK, I think healthy food is totally yummy – check out my archives!! But sometimes you just gotta indulge and never look back! And you might need to lie to yourself for a short time while you eat your third helping – blueberries are healthy, blueberries are healthy, just keep telling yourself.)
This thing is basically a breakfast cake (or a fruity dessert, really). The main layer is super cake-like: it’s fluffy, soft, and light. You’ll fold in the super thick batter with three cups of blueberries and it’s just gonna be PACKED with them. So delicious and beautiful too!
The top layer is this amazing streusel magic that you’ll sprinkle over the batter and you’ll probably sneak a few crumbs off the top while you’re waiting for your oven to preheat. I really don’t know if it’s possible not to do that – I never have!
I’m always excited to share my recipes, but I’m even more excited today because I made my first video for the blog! It was a big learning process (and will continue to be – forever) and quite a challenge, but it was so satisfying to work towards an end product that I’m happy to share. Check it out below!!
- For the streusel:
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- For the cake:
- 10 Tablespoons butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 and ½ cups flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First, make the streusel by mixing together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Then, beat in the butter until small crumbs form. You can use your hands too to help it be incorporated. Set aside.
- Make the cake by beating the butter, sugar, and lemon zest in a separate, large bowl for 3-4 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and eggs. Fold in the baking powder and flour just until combined. Then carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the cake layer evenly and gently in a lightly floured 8x8 pan. Take care not to break the blueberries. Take the streusel topping and crumble over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the cake is well-set and the topping is browned.
I actually do not know where this recipe first came from. I wrote it down in my recipe book a LONG time ago and I didn't write where it came from (long before blogging was on my radar). But I have adapted it quite a bit! If this looks very similar to your recipe from your blog, please let me know and perhaps I will recognize it as the original. Thank you.
If you try these, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with#mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.