An apple crisp made with sweetly spiced gluten-free oat topping plus pecans
My parents visited my husband and I in Denver last weekend for my college graduations (Woooo!!!). My mom’s gluten-free so I spent some time dreaming up delicious recipes to make for her. We had my Whole Wheat Penne with Lemon Chicken made gluten-free with rice pasta. We also had chicken tikka masala with tons of vegetables on the side, plus homemade naan for us gluten-eating folks. For some time I’ve been craving an apple crisp so I knew this was the weekend to try a gluten-free version. Plus, I knew it would pair amazingly with my Cinnamon Brown Butter Ice Cream.
You’ll use Golden Delicious apples for this recipe. They are the perfect apples for the crisp, not too tart, not too sweet. To make the filling, we’re going to cook these in a cast iron skillet for around 8-10 minutes, until soft but not fully cooked. We’re doing this so that they can finish baking in the oven with the crumble on top. It ensures a fully cooked crisp without a burnt top.
For this crisp, the crumble topping is the big star. It’s made gluten-free by using gluten-free certified rolled oats. You will process some of the oats into oat flour and keep the rest whole to give the crisp a good crunch. You will also add some chopped pecans that provides a subtle nutty flavor that rounds out the crisp without overpowering any other flavors.
Here’s what the topping looks like before baking:
Try to resist munching on all the topping before it goes in the oven – it’s a serious challenge! That topping is sweet, rich, and totally addicting.
And after baking – the perfect crunchy topping:
The ice cream I posted earlier this week and this crisp are both more fall-ish recipes, but one bite of the two together and you’ll realize there is no reason to only eat these one season a year. These flavors are universally tantalizing and, well, I’m gonna crave them any time of year.
Do me a favor and make some Cinnamon Brown Butter Ice Cream to go with the crisp while you’re at it! Reasons to do so:
- You just can’t have crisp without ice cream. Period.
- It’s homemade deliciousness!
- You could just serve it with vanilla, but why not go all out?!
- It’s also gluten-free!
- The pairing of this crisp and this ice cream was meant to be! They’re perfect together!
- 1 and ¼ cups GF-certified old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup GF-certified oat flour (see notes)
- ½ cup pecans, chopped finely
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 7 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the topping by tossing together oats, oat flour, pecans, light brown sugar, and ground cinnamon. Mix in melted butter until completely combined and set aside.
- Place apple wedges in a 12-inch ovenproof cast iron skillet. Sprinkle brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon over the wedges. Stir to combine then place over medium heat on the stove and stir occasionally for 8-10 minutes, or until apples are no longer firm. You want the apples to begin to soften but not cook completely.
- Remove from heat and crumble the topping over the wedges evenly. Cook in oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until the entire topping is well-browned. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Cool for 20 minutes before eating. Keeps best in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
*To make oat flour, simply blend GF-certified oats in a food processor or blender for about 30 seconds or for several pulses. Then, measure ¾ cups of the flour to add to this recipe.
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.
If you try these, I’d love to see the result! Tag your kitchen creations with #mesacookingco so I can admire your beautiful work!
© MESA COOKING CO. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission.